Tuesday, May 21, 2013

An Unexpected Gift

We received an unexpected gift last night.  It was remarkable and will be remembered and cherished.

We are having a neighborhood donut party tonight.  Our family has had donut parties, it seems like, forever. We make the donuts and the toppings. Then people come and enjoy them.

Since the donut party is today, I had to make all the frostings yesterday.  Last night, about 7:00pm, I was still making the frostings and I was tired--really tired. Dan had fixed dinner for the kids. After one of the kids (our 19 year old) finished eating he offered to help.  Then Dan offered.  Then another child (our 22 year old)  did.  Finally the third child (our 27 year old) did as well.

I really appreciated the help. They unwrapped and cut up loads of Snickers bars and Reese's cups. The help was nice, but the effect of that help is what was unexpected and amazing. All of a sudden our entire home was filled with a tender and sweet spirit. It was almost tangible.  For a second I thought about turning on the TV to watch Derek Hough dance in the finals of DWTS, but quickly checked myself.  I wasn't going to lose this spirit no matter who was dancing.

It remained for at least a half an hour--until I realized I needed 6 more ounces of Snickers and another bottle of vanilla. I am so grateful for that moment in time. It was truly a gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment