Saturday, April 27, 2013

God's People Have Always Been Immigrants

I saw this headline when I looked on www.azcentral.com last Sunday.  It caught my attention.  I agreed with the statement.  It fit right in with my changing view on immigration.

For years, in Arizona, immigration has been a real concern.  It has been a contentious issue.  My response was always something like, "I think whoever wants to live here should be allowed to, as long as they are paying taxes".

Things got heated up with SB1070.  A short time later the Church issued a statement with regard to immigration that initially took me back.  It said something along the lines of accepting everyone, just as the Savior would/did. I thought a lot about that.  Were immigrants "illegal aliens" or "undocumented immigrants"?

Since that statement was issued by the Church, I have searched the scriptures for extra direction.  I have been amazed at what I have found.  Everywhere, everywhere, there are examples of being charitable, and accepting those who have left their homeland, by choice or force. Next time you're reading, look for them.

I've learned a lot.  I'm thankful the Church issued its statement.  I'm also thankful the scriptures are full of examples for me to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment