Saturday, April 13, 2013

Being Positive or Lesson Learned From Poorly Attended Meetings

For  years I've heard, read and been told, in a variety of settings, that it is better to be positive than negative.  Of course.  That's a no brainer.  Everyone knows that.  Right? Right.

As a mother I've tried to work on that.  At times I've been sort of successful with it.  At other times I've failed miserably.  In parenting I've always felt there was a conflict with that philosophy.  I know we are supposed to be positive, but I also know that we are supposed to teach, correct and direct.  For me, that has always included the need to express appreciation for what was done, mention what was done wrong, show how to do it right and then praise for doing it correctly or for at least trying to.

Recently I was in two similar settings.  They weren't settings where I was "invested".  I wasn't in charge of them and they didn't involve my family.  So, I wasn't emotionally attached or at risk.  Their success or failure wouldn't reflect upon me.

To be quite honest, both events had a poor turnout.  The number of people who were expected to come didn't.

At the first event the person in charge stood up and said the following, "I'm so disappointed we didn't have a better turnout".  When he said that it struck me in several ways.  One, it made me look around and realize there was a poor turnout.  Two, it made me feel like the event was unsuccessful.  Three, it made me wonder why I was there since so many others weren't. Four, I felt my attendance was unimportant.

At the second event the person in charge stood up and said the following, "I am so glad you're here.  This is wonderful!".  Wow!  What a difference.  His comments also struck me in several ways.  One, I felt lucky to be there. Two, I knew my presence was appreciated. Three, I was excited to be a part of that core group.

These two experiences really brought home to me the principle that you should always be positive.  Being negative not only doesn't help, anyone, it hurts, everyone.  I've thought a lot about those two experiences.  I think I had to be uninvested in order to learn, truly learn that principle.

I'm now trying to implement it fully in my life.  And I mean FULLY.

1 comment:

  1. It is so hard to always be positive! However, I do think The Lord wants us to look for the good and that as we keep doing that, we get better at it.

    ReplyDelete